Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oh how I love substitutions...

I live and work on a ship. I cook for 35 people everyday. I don't have my own car. So, when I am in the middle of a meal or some sort of preparation and I realize I don't have an ingredient, I just have to make do most of the time. For example, say the recipe calls for buttermilk. Unless you're like Pioneer Woman and just have the stuff lying around (she doesn't even have it all the time), you can use 1 cup of milk and 1 Tbsp of Vinegar. YAY Substitutions!

This morning I went to find the recipe I planned to use online. I discovered it called for plain yogurt. AK! I don't have any! And I have no time to go get any! So on to Google I go. Substitution for yogurt.....

Sour Cream

or...

Milk with 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice ( i think it has the same effect as vinegar)

or...

Buttermilk (again milk and vinegar)

With that, I will leave you because there is food to be cooked. And my apologies to Dahvede because this post will absolutely bore you to death. :)

No comments: